I participated in my first #SaskEdChat last Thursday evening, and it wasn’t at all what I expected. To be completely honest, I’m not sure what I was expecting, but I figured it would have felt more like “work” than it did.

Source: Giphy

I checked in an hour early, but people were already preparing for the chat, so it became less daunting as the start time approached. Everyone in the chat was friendly and inviting; joking with each other before, during and after the chat. I think elements like that – joking – gave the chat more of a community feel. Regardless of where people were located (US & Canada), we were all there to share ideas and resources with each other. The topic for the chat was on assessment — what kind of assessments we use, what our opinions are on exams, what are some examples of formative and summative assessments etc.

The only critique that I have of the chat, is that it went by so quickly that I felt like I didn’t have time to actually interact with the other participants. Some of the participants were interacting and joking with each other throughout the chat, but I found that it took me a couple minutes to process the question, and then formulate a response… And then by the time I had my response typed up and ready to go, we were already moving onto the next question! I think part of this though, is getting used to the structure and format of the chat, and after you have a few chats with the same people, it might be easier and quicker to share responses and dialogue.

All in all, I had a really good experience with my first #EdChat, and am looking forward to becoming more experienced in the realm of Ed Chats! With that being said, I’ll leave you with a page I found claiming they have “40 education Twitter chats worth your time.” I’ll definitely be checking some of these out; let me know if you do too, and how they go for you!

2 thoughts on “#SaskEdChat

1. I’m glad you had a great experience! Mine was unlike yours, so I feel like I should try out SKedchat next week!

2. Im glad you had a good experience! As mine didn’t go to well, its nice to hear that others went well, and to hear the types of challenges that come with an #EdChat, and what to plus sides of EdChats are. Thank you for sharing your experience!